Dalit farmer set on fire in Bhopal

first_imgA Dalit farmer was burnt alive allegedly by four men in Bhopal district when he opposed their attempt to encroach on his land, a police officer said on Friday. The incident took place at Parsoria Ghatkhedi in Berasia tehsil on Thursday. Kishorilal Jatav (70) succumbed to injuries before reaching the hospital, the officer said.Accused arrested “We have arrested all the four accused and booked them for murder. A special investigation team headed by Additional Superintendent of Police Sanjay Shau will probe the incident,” Deputy Inspector General of Police (Bhopal) Dharmendra Choudhary said. The accused were identified as Teeran Yadav, Prakash Yadav, Sanju Yadav and Balvir Yadav. Jatav protested when the four men tried to encroach on a piece of land leased by him, following which the accused allegedly set him on fire after pouring petrol on him, the DIG said. Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan condemned the incident and said the culprits would not be spared.last_img read more

admin

UFC president believes Ronda Rousey will announce retirement soon

first_imgCatriona Gray spends Thanksgiving by preparing meals for people with illnesses PH chinlone squad catches eye of gold-medal coach Ronda Rousey stands in the cage after Amanda Nunes forced a stoppage in the first round of their women’s bantamweight championship mixed martial arts bout at UFC 207, Friday, Dec. 30, 2016, in Las Vegas.  APAlthough her last two matches ended in brutal knockout losses, Ronda Rousey remains one of the catalysts in catapulting women’s MMA (mixed martial arts) into the mainstream.But as far as Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) President Dana White is concerned, Rousey may never step foot on the octagon again—this time, for good.ADVERTISEMENT Read Next Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC LOOK: Venues for 2019 SEA Games SPORTSSEA Games: Philippines picks up 1st win in men’s water poloSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutFurthermore, Rousey is the only ranked UFC fighter to have not gone through USADA’s (United States Anti-Doping Agency) mandated testing in 2017, after being tested on nine occasions last year.Rousey’s first career setback came at UFC 193 in 2015, when she was on the receiving end of a brutal head kick from Holly Holm. She returned a year later but suffered the same fate against current UFC Women’s Bantamweight Champion Amanda Nunes. Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Flags of SEA Games countries raised at Athletes Village “I think she’s going to retire,” White candidly spoke of Rousey to Sports Illustrated’s Jon Wertheim. ”She hasn’t announced that. She hasn’t said that to me, but it’s what I believe.”The former Olympian judoka’s recent actions certainly point to an early retirement from the sport—refusing to answer any MMA-related questions from the media and instead focusing on TV and movie appearances.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch run WATCH: Streetboys show off slick dance moves in Vhong Navarro’s wedding LATEST STORIES MOST READ Man sworn in as lawyer by judge who sentenced him to prison as a teen 20 years ago SEA Games in Calabarzon safe, secure – Solcom chief Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles02:31Duterte had wanted Albayalde to take terminal leave — Go00:54Gordon: Albayalde may still face charges even after retirement01:37Protesters burn down Iran consulate in Najaf01:47Panelo casts doubts on Robredo’s drug war ‘discoveries’01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games At 30 years old, Rousey might still have plenty of fight left in the tank but has remained mum about her future in fighting.She also got recently engaged to fellow UFC fighter Travis Browne and has continued pursuing an acting career.  Khristian Ibarrola. /ra View comments UPLB exempted from SEA Games class suspensionlast_img read more

admin

Phoenix open to more trades after failed PBA Govs’ Cup bid

first_imgFire hits houses in Mandaluyong City “It’s really painful, disappointing conference for us. It’s more painful knowing it’s our first time to miss the quarterfinals. A lot more sleepless nights especially that we’re going to have to wait until December for the all-Filipino before we can play again.” Phoenix coach Ariel Vanguardia. PBA IMAGESANTIPOLO — Phoenix has had a busy season after being involved in several trade deals.The Fuel Masters, however, aren’t done yet in revamping their roster especially after a failed campaign in the 2017 Governors’ Cup.ADVERTISEMENT “Obviously, [we have] a need for additional big man in the draft. We don’t need just one, we need two more big men. Doug (Kramer) played well today, but we don’t have any more big man yet to complement, especially in the all-Filipino,” said Phoenix head coach Ariel Vanguardia after a loss to Rain or Shine on Wednesday eliminated the Fuel Masters from playoff contention.“Our bigs like Willie Wilson, Eriobu are small bigs. We’re looking at the draft and of course, we are open to trades. We always discuss with management whatever comes our way that’s how we rebuild.”FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSSEA Games: Philippines picks up 1st win in men’s water poloSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutThe Fuel Masters made several moves this season. They traded second-year playmaker Simon Enciso to Alaska for veteran guard RJ Jazul, before acquiring former national team mainstay Jeff Chan from Rain or Shine, who got Mark Borboran and a future second round pick in return.Phoenix have also unloaded flashy guard Cyrus Baguio and got Dylan Ababou and NLEX’s 2020 second round pick. Read Next Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Nonong Araneta re-elected as PFF president Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC LOOK: Loisa Andalio, Ronnie Alonte unwind in Amanpulo for 3rd anniversary E.T. returns to earth, reunites with grown-up Elliott in new ad  MOST READ BSP sees higher prices in November, but expects stronger peso, low rice costs to put up fight WATCH: Streetboys show off slick dance moves in Vhong Navarro’s wedding Frontrow holds fun run to raise funds for young cancer patients  The team also took part in a three-team deal that sent TNT’s Ranidel de Ocampo to Meralco on Monday where the Fuel Masters let go of rookie Norbert Torres and ended up with the Bolts’ first round pick in this year’s draft and the KaTropa’s second round pick in 2019.Phoenix had a promising start this conference, winning its first two games. But the Fuel Masters’ campaign took a turn for the worse after their explosive import Eugene Phelps suffered a foot injury last month and star swingman Matthew Wright missed five games due to national team commitments.“Honestly, we didn’t know that Eugene’s injury was a stress fracture on his left foot. He was playing with pain and he wasn’t the same,” Vanguardia recalled. “We had to make a change, and Brandon (Brown) wasn’t in shape yet. We lost that long preparation we had before the conference.”“We also didn’t get lucky with the schedule. Our national team player missed the most out of our games. He missed five games this conference. It was tough because we saw how he can deliver when he’s with us for long stretches,” Vanguardia said of Wright.Wright unleashed 36 points while Brandon Brown added 33 points and 20 rebounds, but despite their big production, Phoenix still went on to drop its eighth straight game.ADVERTISEMENT LATEST STORIES Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles03:46Lacson: PH lost about P161.5B tax revenue from big trading partners in 201702:31CamNorte Gov faces complaints for violating ease of doing business rules01:37Protesters burn down Iran consulate in Najaf01:47Panelo casts doubts on Robredo’s drug war ‘discoveries’01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games PVL: San Beda thwarts St. Benilde for second win View commentslast_img read more

admin

Durham wants no letup from No. 1 Bolts heading into playoffs

first_imgPingris wants showdown with Ginebra in playoffs Kammuri turning to super typhoon less likely but possible — Pagasa Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC E.T. returns to earth, reunites with grown-up Elliott in new ad  Read Next LATEST STORIES PBA IMAGESTopping the eliminations is not a cause for celebration for Allen Durham.Meralco claimed the top seed in the 2017 PBA Governors’ Cup with a 9-2 card but the reigning Best Import said that his team shouldn’t rest on its laurels going forward.ADVERTISEMENT MOST READ Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. BSP sees higher prices in November, but expects stronger peso, low rice costs to put up fightcenter_img Fire hits houses in Mandaluyong City Frontrow holds fun run to raise funds for young cancer patients  Nonong Araneta re-elected as PFF president LOOK: Loisa Andalio, Ronnie Alonte unwind in Amanpulo for 3rd anniversary Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles01:38‘Bato’ to be ‘most effective’ CHR head? It’s for public to decide – Gascon01:37Protesters burn down Iran consulate in Najaf01:47Panelo casts doubts on Robredo’s drug war ‘discoveries’01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games “We got to keep doing work and we have a number one goal in mind and that’s to be champs. We got to get back to work tomorrow,” he said. “If you wanna be a champion at anything, it’s not gonna be easy. It’s going to be games like this in the playoffs and we just got to play defense and keep going.”Meralco faces Blackwater on Wednesday in the quarterfinals. “It feels good, but they don’t give you trophies for being number one in the regular season,” he said after the Bolts’ 104-101 victory over San Miguel Beer on Sunday.Durham said Meralco’s performance against the Grand Slam-seeking Beermen was a good gauge to see how far last year’s runner-up can go in the playoffs, especially after trailing by 18 points midway through the third quarter before eking out the victory.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSSEA Games: Philippines picks up 1st win in men’s water poloSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutout“We knew that if we wanted any chance to win, we’re gonna have to play all 48 minutes. That’s what we did tonight. We started slow but we just stayed with it and kept grinding, that’s just the type of team that we are,” he said.Durham fired 35 points, 13 rebounds, eight assists, and two blocks in the victory and the 29-year-old big man feels it would take more from him and the rest of his teammates if they want to win the franchise’s first-ever PBA title. View commentslast_img read more

admin

19 days agoShearer accuses Liverpool striker Mane of diving

first_imgAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Shearer accuses Liverpool striker Mane of divingby Paul Vegas19 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveGeordie legend Alan Shearer has accused Liverpool striker Sadio Mane of diving to win an injury-time penalty in their 2-1 win over Leicester City at Anfield on Saturday.Mane went to ground inside the area under pressure from Marc Albrighton, with referee Chris Kavanagh pointing to the spot. VAR upheld Kavanagh’s original decision and James Milner converted from the spot to extend Liverpool’s lead at the top of the table to eight points.After the game an angry brawl unfolded between both sets of players, as Leicester vented their frustration at their late defeat and Shearer felt they were right to feel aggrieved.”I don’t think it’s a penalty, I think it’s a dive,” said Shearer on Match of the Day. “It’s a contact sport. Mane takes a touch against Albrighton and then decides to go down.” last_img read more

admin

Celebs To Attend NYC Wine And Food Festival For Charity

first_imgThe eighth annual Food Network & Cooking Channel New York City Wine & Food Festival presented by FOOD & WINE is pleased to release its 2015 program of events.Set for October 15 – 18, 100% of the net proceeds from more than 100 events taking place throughout New York City benefit Food Bank For New York City and Share Our Strength’s No Kid Hungry.To date, the Festival has raised more than $8.5 million to help fight hunger with the nation’s leading hunger-relief organizations.“We are excited to unveil our 2015 event line-up, which includes the return of Festival fan favorite events and a variety of new experiences for our passionate attendees,” said Festival Founder and Director Lee Brian Schrager, who also serves as Vice President of Corporate Communications and National Events for Southern Wine & Spirits of America, Inc. “Festivalgoers will have the opportunity to see their favorite chefs and culinary personalities, including both veteran and new faces from Food Network & Cooking Channel, plus interact with leading winemakers and spirits producers from the Southern Wine & Spirits of New York portfolio.”Mark the calendar: The Festival’s MasterCard exclusive presale runs June 8 – 21 online at nycwff.org or by calling 866.969.2933. Use a MasterCard to purchase tickets before they’re available to the public on June 22 and select exclusive MasterCard cardholder options like the MasterCard Priceless Fast Pass, MasterCard Priceless Preview, MasterCard Priceless Demo Pass, and more.The Festival’s culinary campus at Piers 92 & 94 will once again serve as the central hub for gourmands throughout the weekend. Pier 94 remains the centerpiece for the Festival’s 135,000-sq.ft. tasting compound Grand Tasting presented by ShopRite featuring Samsung Culinary Demonstrations presented by MasterCard. Here, guests will sip, savor and sample their way through offerings from New York City’s best restaurants and the finest wines and spirits in the Southern Wine & Spirits of New York portfolio. After its successful debut last year, guests will again have the opportunity to upgrade their tasting experience by adding on access to the Wine GEMS Collection Room presented by Wine Spectator.Pier 92 continues to host a parade of signature events that anchor the Festival each evening, starting with Giada De Laurentiis’ Italian Feast presented by Ronzoni featuring New York City’s best trattorias, slice-slingers and meatball shops.The next evening will feature Festival fan favorite Blue Moon Burger Bash presented by Pat LaFrieda Meats hosted by Rachael Ray, which gets a twist this year with the inaugural “Smack Down” of the best mac and cheese dishes from participating chefs.On Saturday, October 17 Pier 92 will see the return of Jets + Chefs: The Ultimate Tailgate hosted by Joe Namath and Mario Batali, plus the introduction of new event The Art of Tiki: A Cocktail Showdown presented by Cocktail Kingdom hosted by Emeril Lagasse. The Festival will closeout with a celebration of the life and legacy of acclaimed food writer and longtime Festival friend Josh Ozersky at Meatopia hosted by Michael Symon. Carefully curated by the late carnivore community’s fearless leader himself, Ozersky’s vision for the world’s greatest meat festival will live on with the country’s greatest chefs serving up their best creations.The Festival continues to bring renowned chefs from all over the world together with top winemakers and spirits producers for more intimate experiences offered as part of the Bank of America Dinner Series. A sampling of participating luminaries include Rainer Becker (ZUMA, United Kingdom), José Enrique (José Enrique, Puerto Rico), Leonor Espinosa (Leo Cocina y Cava, Colombia), Sebastiano Lombardi (Hotel Il Pellicano, Italy), Virgilio Martinez (Central, Peru), Jordi Roca (El Celler de Can Roca, Spain), and national treasures like Lidia Bastianich, David Bouley, Gerard Craft, Charles Phan, Bill Telepan, Alice Waters, and many more.New events in 2015 include unique walk-around tastings such as Brunch @ Bobby’s hosted by Bobby Flay, the preeminent master of brunch himself, Sweet Masquerade hosted by Dominque Ansel and Pecko Zantilaveevan, Veg Out with Hungryroot hosted by Haylie Duff, Top Dog – A NY Hot Dog Competition hosted by Andrew Zimmern, Cavier, Champagne and Cocktails at The Wayfarer, Pigs n’ Pints hosted by Robert Irvine at the Festival’s headquarter hotel Hudson New York, Celebrity Cruises Ramen Party hosted by Chrissy Teigen and J. Kenji Lopez-Alt presented by Serious Eats, Midnight Jazz Breakfast hosted by Rev Run and Justine Simmons, and panels like Eating Stories hosted by Mario Batali and Mary Giuliani, plus much more.Festival staple events like Chicken Coupe hosted by Whoopi Goldberg, Tacos & Tequila hosted by Aarón Sánchez, Thrillist’s Barbecue & The Blues hosted by Adam Richman, Rachael Ray’s Feedback: Chefs and Cocktails, Rock & Roll Sushi hosted by Masaharu Morimoto, Stacked: Sandwiches and Sides hosted by Tiffani Thiessen, The Lobster Place presents Oyster Bash hosted by Anne Burrell, and Best Bloody Mary Brunch hosted by the Cast of Chopped will return with new faces to serve up their best creations. More educational and hands-on seminars return with master classes at the Institute of Culinary Education, Pairing Seminars hosted by FOOD & WINE, and Anolon Cookware’s Artisanal Cooking Series at Home Studios.Use a MasterCard during the exclusive presale beginning June 8 at 9:00 AM EDT online at nycwff.org or by calling 866.969.2933 (phone sales open 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM EDT). General ticket sales begin on Monday, June 22.last_img read more

admin