A row broke out in Tripura on Monday after officials started a drive to demolish party and trade union offices built on public land. In a pre-dawn action, the west Tripura district administration dismantled at least nine structures in Agartala.The Congress and the CPI(M), both in opposition, criticised the action, but admitted that the buildings were on government land. The ruling BJP called the drive “impartial.” Congress workers, led by PCC president Birajit Sinha, staged a sit-in in front of the office of the District Magistrate to condemn what they called unethical demolition of offices of the transport unions owing allegiance to the party. The police took them into preventive custody.The Transport Minister in the Left Front government and CITU leader, Manik Dey, and west Tripura MP Shankar Prasad Datta visited the Old Motorstand area where the structures were dismantled. They alleged that the demolition was done without notice. “I can recall the days of Emergency. The BJP government in the State is showing disrespect to democratic values,” Mr. Dey told journalists. CPI(M) leaders said the trade union offices served as a place for transport workers and passengers to rest. They warned the government of an agitation if it pressed ahead with the drive.Hundreds of paramilitary troops and armed policemen were deployed at midnight before the demolition began. A prohibitory order under Section 144 was imposed in the city.West Tripura District Magistrate Milind Ramteke and Superintendent of Police Ajit Pratap Singh supervised the demolition of concrete structures with the help of bulldozers and a few hundred workers. Several roads were barricaded.Mr. Ramteke said notice was served on the occupants a week ago and was advertised in newspapers. He said the government had identified 104 political and trade union structures built on government land in west Tripura alone. Officials have put the number at 400 across the State and said all of them will be razed.Police officers said the situation in Agartala remained peaceful, but deployment would continue in some parts of the city to maintain law and order.
Efforts to trace, deport illegal foreigners in Assam have been poor, unsatisfactory: State Chief Secretary tells SC
Assam Chief Secretary Alok Kumar admitted to the Supreme Court on Tuesday that the “performance” of the State government and its task force to trace illegal foreigners and deport them had been “poor” and “not satisfactory” over the past five years.“Put that on record,” Chief Justice of India Ranjan Gogoi, leading a three-judge Bench, told Mr. Kumar.Mr. Kumar’s admission was in response to Chief Justice Gogoi’s queries about how the State had managed to deport only four out of 46,000 illegal foreigners identified in Assam between 2015 and 2018.“Out of 46,000, you could only find 2,000; of this, you could deport only four?” Justice Gogoi asked Mr. Kumar.When Mr. Kumar tried to explain, Justice Gogoi interjected and asked, “Is your government being run in accordance with the Constitution?”“Performance [to trace illegal foreigners in the State] in the last five years has been poor,” Mr. Kumar acknowledged.“Put that on record,” the Chief Justice said.“The performance of the task force to identify them is also not satisfactory,” Mr. Kumar added.“Put that also on record,” Justice Gogoi reacted.The CJI then referred to how 38 lakh of the 40 lakh people excluded from the draft National Register of Citizens (NRC) in Assam have filed citizenship claims.“If they fail in their claims, they will immediately file complaints with the Foreigners Tribunals in Assam. Do you know how many tribunals would be required to deal with such a large number of complaints?” Justice Gogoi asked.Observing that a 1,000 more tribunals would be required to deal with the tide, Mr. Kumar said the State had already proposed a ₹900-crore budget for setting up these tribunals.The Chief Justice, however, said he was sceptical about how the State would find another 1,000 judges, that too, for a tenure appointment of just three years.“Which good advocate would leave his practice and come for a three-year term as a tribunal judge?” Justice Gogoi wondered.The court further directed the Chief Secretary to file an affidavit before April 25 suggesting measures for release of detenuees languishing in Assam’s detention centres for years.“They cannot be released like how domestic criminals are released,” Solicitor General Tushar Mehta submitted.“These (detention centres) are not places anyone would like to be. There are about 915 detainees, how long will they continue to be in custody?” CJI asked.The court however did not find it necessary to send an advocate as amicus curiae to check on the living conditions of the detainees. “We know their living conditions are bad,” Chief Justice Gogoi said.In the previous hearing, Mr. Mehta had briefed the court that the “push-back” policy was dropped in 2013 and nowadays diplomatic channels were employed to determine the nationality of an illegal foreigner and to deport the person. A Ministry of Home Affairs affidavit had said how the Assistant High Commissioner of Bangladesh visited detention centres to talk to detainees. If their information is proved correct, they are expeditiously issued travel documents.The court is hearing a petition filed by activist Harsh Mander about the dismal living conditions within the four walls of the detention centres in the State. The court noticed that many detainees continue to be lodged inside these centres even after the expiry of their term of imprisonment for illegally entering the country.
But Stepheson’s ouster somehow turned out to be a blessing in disguise with Kelly Nabong, who replaced him in the game, stepping up in OT.Nabong scored seven of Meralco’s last nine points in the final two minutes and 12 seconds to finish with 15 pointsThe veteran bruiser went 3-of-4 from the free throw line in the last 11.6 seconds to help keep the KaTropa at bay.Joshua Smith had a chance to win it for TNT at the free throw line but he only managed to get a split with 5.6 seconds to go in regulation.Chris Newsome forced a contested 3-pointer that missed, paving the way for OT with the score tied at 92.ADVERTISEMENT Familiarity with Desiderio key in stopping UP, says Macaraya “We played much better tonight than we did last game. I thought we really gutted it out in the end especially since my import was in foul trouble majority of the game,” said Meralco head coach Norman Black.“I have to give a lot of credit to the locals particularly Baser Amer, who I felt played one of the best games of his career. Special mention also goes out to Kelly Nabong, who hit his foul shots when the game was on the line,” Black added. FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutGame 3 is set on Friday with the winner facing top seed Barangay Ginebra in a best-of-five semifinals series.The Bolts overcame a long offensive drought that lasted for close to eight minutes and the absence of their import Alex Stepheson, who fouled out with still 1:54 left in regulation. Heart Evangelista admits she’s pregnant… with chicken Lacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ Cayetano dares Lacson, Drilon to take lie-detector test: Wala akong kinita sa SEA Games Palace: Duterte to hear out security execs on alleged China control of NGCP Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. BREAKING: Cop killed, 11 hurt in Misamis Oriental grenade blast LATEST STORIES Every 18 seconds someone is diagnosed with HIV MOST READ BSP survey: PH banks see bright horizon amid dark global recession clouds What ‘missteps’? Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netBaser Amer had a career night and Meralco held off TNT, 103-100, in overtime Wednesday night to forge a winner-take-all Game 3 for the last spot in the 2017 PBA Commissioner’s Cup semifinals at Smart Araneta Coliseum.Amer fired 32 points on top of six rebounds and four assists in 43 minutes to lead the Bolts’ fightback after dropping Game 1 on Monday.ADVERTISEMENT Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss PLAY LIST 02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games View comments RR Garcia gave the KaTropa their first lead,93-92, at the 3:16 mark of overtime after trailing by as much as 19 points late in the opening quarter.But that didn’t last long as Amer and Nabong hit back-to-back baskets for a 96-93 edge and TNT never led again.Smith led the KaTropa with 18 points, 18 rebounds and three blocks while Stepheson finished with just seven points and 13 rebounds in only 26 minutes due to foul trouble.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next