The semi-finals appearance in the women’s doubles event at the just concluded Wimbledon Championships on Monday catapulted Sania Mirza and Russia’s Elena Vesnina to number two slot in the WTA rankings.Sania-Elena pair has 4506 points in the list which is headed by Kveta Peschke and Katarina Srebotnik with 6865 points.”The partnership with Elena has been great in the last four months, specially the Slams.When we started playing together last year at Dubai, and had somebody said that we will be number two after Wimbledon, we would have laughed,” Sania told PTI from Dubai.Sania has taken a three-week break from the circuit to recover from her left knee injury.”It’s (knee) sore since I am off the pain killers. I am recovering.Hopefully it will be okay after 10 days rest.”Sania’s first tournament after the break will be the WTA event in Washington from July 25.The good show at the Wimbledon also resulted in Sania achieving the career-best doubles rank of 11, an improvement of three slots.In the singles though Sania slid to 63, a loss of three position, after a first round exit.Meanwhile in the ATP rankings, Somdev Devvarman rose to career-best 63 in the men’s singles.Leander Paes also improved his doubles rankings by getting back into the top-10.He is placed eighth while his partner Mahesh Bhupathi is highest ranked Indian in the list at number five.Rohan Bopanna is at number 10, just behind his Pakistani partner Aisam-ul-haq Qureshi.Wozniacki Stays On TopDenmark’s Caroline Wozniacki remains on top of the women’s singles rankings in spite of her failure to win a Grand Slam title.advertisementThe 20-year-old has now spent 38 weeks in the number one position but has only ever reached one Grand Slam final – the US Open in 2009 – and was knocked out in the fourth round at Wimbledon. Petra Kvitova’s reward for winning Wimbledon was a move up one place to seven in the world while Maria Sharapova edges up one place to number five. French Open champion Li Na slips two places to number six.The biggest mover in the women’s rankings was the German Sabine Lisicki, a wildcard entry at Wimbledon where she went on to lose to Sharapova in the semi- finals.Lisicki, who had reached 22 in the world before an ankle injury interrupted her progress last year, moved up from number 62 to 27.Somdev rises to career-best 63 in men’s singlesWith inputs from PTI
Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Related Items:annual cat island regatta, emancipation day, herbert king Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppBahamas, 17 Apr 2015 – (Bahamas Information Services) – When the 2015 Cat Island Regatta is held later this year, it will be a very special event for the King family as the Cat Island Association has selected the family’s patriarch and one of that island’s boat building and sailing legends, the late Herbert King. During a meeting with and courtesy call on the Deputy Prime Minister and area MP, the Hon. Philip Brave Davis at the Ministry of Works, the Deputy Prime Minister who also hails from Cat Island reflected on the contributions of Herbert King and the significance of his work in developing the Cat Island Regatta in addition to building up the cultural, civic and economic life of Cat Island for more than one half century.“Herbert King was one of our prolific boat builders and sailors in the ‘C’ class of the Cat Island Regatta. He was instrumental in organizing the annual Cat Island Regatta from its inception. He hails from Knowles and there is a particular location called “King Yard” where most of the regatta spectators gathered during this annual event. Mr. King was a legend and made significant contributions to the economic and cultural development of Cat Island.“It is a great privilege for the Cat Island Association under the leadership of Mr. Patrick Strachan to identify and to take this time to honour him during the course of this regatta” The annual Cat Island Regatta will take place during the Emancipation Day holiday weekend. This holiday is celebrated on the first Monday in August, popularly known as “August Monday.” The meeting and courtesy call took place on Monday, 27th April 2015. Recommended for you Eye on the Tropics; two systems not expected to grow
17 Photos DC Comics Marvel Batman The Avengers Avengers: Endgame is a thrilling sequel to every MCU… Would Joe Russo take Batman back down the Christian Bale route? DC Comics/Ron Phillips Avengers: Endgame co-director Joe Russo wouldn’t mind a trip to Gotham City’s mean streets.Russo, who directed the MCU mega-hit with his brother Anthony, was happy to answer a fan’s query about which DC character he’d like to direct. The query came during a Q&A session with our sister site Comicbook.com on Sunday.”As far as what I collected as a kid, I collected Batman. [That] was one of the DC characters I collected,” Russo said. “So it would have to be Batman.”The Caped Crusader’s next cinematic outing, The Batman, is expected to open in 2021 from director Matt Reeves. Ben Affleck, who played the character in Batman vs Superman, Suicide Squad and Justice League, won’t be returning to the role.His nemesis, the Joker, will get a solo outing in October.Russo didn’t make any more comments about his DC hopes, but did offer some MCU tidbits — apparently some drafts of Endgame predecessor Avengers: Infinity War gave us more of archvillain Thanos’ past. 3:14 “You saw him as a child, you saw him try to convince his planet that it was doomed and recommend that they randomly kill half the population to save the planet,” the director told Comicbook.com. “He gets sent to a prison off-planet and eventually watches the planet destroy itself.”This 10-minute sequence wasn’t in the movie, but Russo noted that he pitched these details to Josh Brolin so the actor could have them in mind as he crafted the character.First published at 3:18 a.m. PT.Updated at 4:06 a.m. PT: Adds more Batman details, Thanos angle. Now playing: Watch this: Tags Every Batman that matters, ranked TV and Movies Comics Share your voice null 0
Security Phones Huawei may be facing an executive order this week that lays the groundwork for US companies being barred from working with the Chinese telecom company. Smith Collection/Gado/Getty Images President Donald Trump is expected to sign an executive order as early as this week that could pave the way for banning US companies from using equipment from Chinese telecom giant Huawei, Reuters reported Tuesday.The order, which has been under consideration for more than a year, won’t name specific companies or countries, the news agency reported, citing unidentified sources described as familiar with the plan. The order still could be delayed further, they say.The order is expected to invoke the International Emergency Economic Powers Act, a federal law that authorizes the president to regulate commerce after declaring a national emergency in response to an extraordinary threat to the US. Huawei is the world’s second-largest phone manufacturer by volume, but it has struggled to make a dent in the US, partly because of concerns expressed by the government, including the FBI, CIA, NSA, the Federal Communications Commission and House Intelligence Committee. The core issue with Huawei has been concerns over its coziness with the Chinese government and fears that its equipment could be used to spy on other countries and companies. The CIA has reportedly warned intelligence officials that Huawei receives funding from China’s National Security Commission, the People’s Liberation Army and a third branch of the Chinese state intelligence network.In January, the US Justice Department unsealed indictments that included 23 counts pertaining to the theft of intellectual property, obstruction of justice and fraud related to its alleged evasion of US sanctions against Iran. One 10-count indictment accuses Huawei of stealing trade secrets from US carrier T-Mobile beginning in 2012.The White House and Huawei declined to comment. Share your voice Comments Tags Huawei Donald Trump 2
Journal information: Physical Review Letters Two-year-old children understand complex grammar © 2019 Science X Network Explore further Illustrative derivation trees for (a) simple English sentence, and (b) RNA secondary structure (after ). The latter is a derivation of the sequence ‘gacuaagcugaguc’ and shows its folded structure. Terminal symbols are encircled. Credit: arXiv:1809.01201 [cond-mat.dis-nn] More information: E. DeGiuli. Random Language Model, Physical Review Letters (2019). DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevLett.122.128301 , On Arxiv: https://arxiv.org/abs/1809.01201 Citation: Physicist applies statistical mechanics theories to explain how children learn a language (2019, April 3) retrieved 18 August 2019 from https://phys.org/news/2019-04-physicist-statistical-mechanics-theories-children.html Most parents notice that children learn a language in a standard sort of way—they pick up words as labels for things and then one day, start assembling words they have learned into sentences. Linguists have noticed that the changeover from speaking words to speaking sentences is usually quite abrupt, making many in the brain science field wonder what actually happens. In this new effort, DeGiuli proposes a theory to explain the process and uses physics theories to do it.DeGiuli starts out by suggesting that a context-free grammar (CFG), which covers most human languages, can be viewed as a physical object, conceiving it in a more physical way, such as must be the case inside the heads of people who are able to speak a language. He further proposes that a CFG can be modeled like a physical tree (not just a virtual one such as those typically used to describe CFGs)—with surfaces representing sentences that include all the words a person knows, whether they make sense or not. He then suggests that as a child hears new words and processes them, they begin to build grammar rules in their brain, some of which are deeper than others. The deepness of the rules is assigned as the brain assigns weights to different rules—those with more weight are deemed more likely to lead to sentences that make sense. It is at this point that DeGiuli introduces statistical mechanics theories into his proposal to explain how the weighting process works. He believes it is possible that the brain uses two major factors to decide how to prune branches in the grammar tree: how much a given weighting results in depth assignments within a tree, and how much they do so to arrive at surface-level assignments. In the end, he notes, it would be the sparseness of the tree that defines the level of usability of the tree to form sentences. When it reaches a certain point, the tree suddenly becomes usable and the child begins spouting complete sentences at his or her parents. Eric DeGiuli, a physicist at École Normale Supérieure, has proposed that a human language grammar can be viewed as if it were a physical object, allowing theories such as those in statistical mechanics to explain how a child learns a language. In his paper published in the journal Physical Review Letters, he describes his ideas and his hopes that they might one day be associated with neurological evidence. This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
Kolkata: Determined to put a leash on the sale of inferior and adulterated food by a section of unscrupulous businessmen, the South Dum Dum Municipality has decided to award people who would come up with evidence of such unfair practices in the area of the municipality, thereby helping the civic body to take action against them.”We have been conducting regular drives against bad quality food to ensure that it is not compromised by any means. However, we have to admit that it is impossible for the municipality alone to keep an eye on every nook and corner of the 35 wards. Hence, we want to involve the citizens in this social cause. People, who will lodge complaints of such unfair practices with the municipality with evidence, will be awarded by us,” Debasish Banerjee, Chairman-in-Council (public health) said. Complaints can be lodged through calls, text messages or WhatsApp messages on 9831221665. It may be mentioned that a team from the municipality led by its chairman Panchu Gopal Roy raided a prawn processing unit at ward 21 on Friday and found that some sort of reddish colour was being added to prawns. The team from the municipality also conducted a drive at a multi-shopping complex which has a food court. Also Read – Heavy rain hits traffic, flightsSamples were collected from as many as 12 restaurants and the officials have come across several irregularities in the way they deal with the food. French fries were found stored in refrigerators.The meat at some of the restaurants emitted a foul smell. Leftover food, stored in the refrigerator, was sent for tests. The hotel authorities, when asked about these irregularities, failed to provide any satisfactory answer. “We are sure that most of these businessmen associated with food business are using inferior quality food, posing serious health hazards to the consumers. We are waiting for the test reports of the samples that we have collected. They have been sent for examination at the state food laboratory in Entally. We will take strong action against the offenders as per law,” a senior municipality official said.
Vivendi has confirmed that it has been approached by Numericable majority owner Patrick Drahi’s investment vehicle Altice “regarding a potential alliance” between its telecom subsidiary SFR and cable operator Numericable, in which Drahi holds a controlling interest.However, Vivendi said it “has not received any formal offer” and that its supervisory board “will announce a decision, if necessary, as and when appropriate”.The clarification comes after French financial daily Les Echos reported that the media and telecoms group had struck an agreement in principle to sell a majority stake in SFR to Numericable and would likely pull its plan to float the operator on the stock exchange.According to the paper, Vivendi’s supervisory council has give a green light to SFR CEO Jean-Yves Charlier to begin detailed negotiations with Numericable based on this agreement.According to Les Echos, Vivendi chairman Jean-René Fourtou and Drahi met last week, kicking off the latest round of talks. Under the deal under discussion, Altice would hold a 50% stake in a new combined entity, with Vivendi holding 32%.The paper said the deal is likely to value SFR at about €15 billion. This includes about €8 billion in debt, about four times gross operating profit. Potential synergies from a deal are estimated at around €6 billion, in particular thanks to the possibility of SFR using Numericable’s network rather than leasing capacity from Orange, as it currently does. In addition the pair could pool their resources in investing in fibre, as well as making savings in maintenance and interconnection costs.The latest news follows Altice and Numericable’s successful separate introductions on the stock exchange, giving Drahi additional financial leverage in negotiations.