‘The blip in the tournament’

first_imgNAGPUR, India (CMC):West Indies captain Darren Sammy has expressed disappointment with his team’s three-wicket loss to Afghanistan, but says he is pleased that their goal of advancing to the semi-finals of the T20 World Cup was achieved.West Indies crashed to a sobering defeat against spirited Afghanistan in a low scoring thriller at the Vidarbha Cricket Association Stadium yesterday, but had already qualified for the semi-finals on the basis of scoring three straight wins before their first loss in the tournament.”We are very disappointed that we lost the game. Whatever happened today does not affect how we are going to play in the semis,” vowed Sammy.”We wanted to come out of this group winning four out of four, but looking at the history of the tournament, no team has done it undefeated. So we will leave this game here and see it as the blip in the tournament. Now we have two knockouts to play. Two more steps.”Samuel Badree destroyed the top order with three wickets, while Andre Russell picked-up two as West Indies restricted Afghanistan to 127 for seven. But Mohamad Nabi and Rashin Khan with two wickets each contained the Windies big hitters with spin and forced them to squander an easy run chase.”It is a total we should have got. I think we just kept losing wickets. One partnership of 50 plus would have won us the game. But we just did not bat well throughout the innings,” said Sammy.”We did not take it lightly. They are a side we are supposed to beat and we just did not do it today. But the main objective in coming out of the Super 10 was to qualify for the semis and that we did.”Dwayne Bravo was the top scorer with 28, Johnson Charles scored 22, while Andre Fletcher was forced to retire on 10 with a hamstring injury.”At the end of the day we just did not play smart enough. The games we have won somebody took responsibility to bat through,” he said. “This time nobody did it. Nobody took responsibility. They just left it for the next man to come. Like I said to the guys tonight, we will just leave this game here in Nagpur. It’s a new focus now .We just have to be ready.”last_img read more

admin

TAP to Reach 2,000 Young People Next Year

first_img Spearheaded by the Universal Service Fund (USF), the initiative targets youths aged 18 to 35, providing them with practical training in information and communications technology (ICT) and job-readiness skills. The number of beneficiaries under the Technology Advancement Programme (TAP) is set to double next year to reach 2,000 unattached youth. Science and Technology Minister, Dr. the Hon. Andrew Wheatley, made the disclosure while addressing the opening ceremony of the Excellence in STEM Experimental Education (EXSEED) workshop at the Excelsior Community College in Kingston on July 17. Story Highlights The number of beneficiaries under the Technology Advancement Programme (TAP) is set to double next year to reach 2,000 unattached youth.Science and Technology Minister, Dr. the Hon. Andrew Wheatley, made the disclosure while addressing the opening ceremony of the Excellence in STEM Experimental Education (EXSEED) workshop at the Excelsior Community College in Kingston on July 17.Spearheaded by the Universal Service Fund (USF), the initiative targets youths aged 18 to 35, providing them with practical training in information and communications technology (ICT) and job-readiness skills.The first cohort of 1,000 persons completed a three-month course in June covering digitisation, data collection, office etiquette and procedures, professional conduct, résumé writing, interview skills, and basic entrepreneurial skills.They are now being placed on a nine-month attachment at various public- and private-sector entities, where the stipend they received during the training course will increase.The young people are expected to provide much-needed human-resource support to the Government in a bid to accelerate the ongoing digitisation process.“We have gotten quite a number of requests from private-sector entities wanting to utilise the services of these TAP participants. The level of excitement among the young people is unbelievable,” Dr. Wheatley said.Once the period of attachment is completed, it is hoped that the entities will recruit the participants full-time, or that the graduates will use the skills gained to secure employment elsewhere or start their own businesses.Giving an update on the Tablet in Schools (TIS) Project, Dr. Wheatley indicated that steps are being taken to have the initiative fully roll out in the 2018/19 academic year, which starts in September.He said that a “management system” installed on the devices will prevent students from accessing inappropriate content.The TIS programme aims to provide students and teachers in public institutions with approved devices to enhance learning, facilitate research, and build competence in the use of technology.It is in keeping with the Government’s efforts to build a knowledge-based society.last_img read more

admin